Frequently Asked Questions


 When is my utility (water, sewer, garbage) bill due?

Water meters are read on the 20th of the month, bills are sent by the 25th and are due on the 1st of the following month. Payments are considered late after the 10th of the month, late fee is $25.

If a bill is not paid by the 25th of the month in which it is due, a shut-off notice will be sent. The letter will detail action for the second month of non-payment. If the bill is not paid in full by the 10th of the second month, the water will be shut off in the street the next business day. 
No other notice will be given.

A fee of $25 will be charged when water is shut off, and again when it is turned on. Water will not be turned back on until the account is paid in full, and will only be turned on during business hours, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m - 5 p.m.


 Can I pay my water bill online?

Yes! Click HERE to sign up to pay online. Call the City Office at 426-6961 to set up automatic payments.


 What is the residential garbage pickup schedule?

Garbage is collected from residences each Tuesday. 
Please have your garbage at the curb for pick up by 9 a.m. The fee is $15 (as of June, 2014), which is added to your monthly water bill.  Businesses are required to
contract for garbage pick up individually. 


 At what point is a snow emergency declared?

After a snowfall of 2" or more, all vehicles, etc., must be removed from the streets. Tickets will be issued if vehicles are on streets. Please call the City Office at 426-6961 with questions.


 What are the rubble site hours and policies?

The Rubble site is one mile east and 1/2 mile south of Ipswich.  

The rubble site will be open for entry 7 days a week during daylight hours only. The site is under 24-hour video surveillance.

Click Here for items not accepted.


 What is the pet licensing policy?

Dogs and cats must be licensed by May 1 of each year. Proof of rabies vaccination is required.

Fees: 1 pet - $5.00; 2 pets - $12.50; 3 pets - $37.50; 4 pets - $62.50; 5 pets - $87.50

 What is the water deposit procedure?

All new accounts are required to pay a $100 water deposit. Please click Here for all of the City Utility Policies.


 When is a building permit necessary?

A permit is necessary for any project that will cost more than $250.  

Cost:  Projects $250 - $10,000.00:  $10; $10,001-$100,000:  $1.00 per every $1000.00, with a maximum cost of $100

All applications need City Council approval before construction on the project can begin.

Property owners are responsible for locating property lines. A legal survey is recommended, at the owner's expense. Measuring from the center of the street is no longer accurate or acceptable.

Variances may be requested by property owners. This is for anything that is not within the requirements of the application. A variance form is given to the owner; he or she must contact all adjoining landowners for their approval of his or her request. The variance must be approved
by the council before a building permit can be considered by the council.


Building Permit Information

Building Permit Form

Application for Variance


Official Website of Ipswich, South Dakota